FIN 130 Unit 1 part 1

Here is where I should be telling you all the wonderful things I’ve discovered while bending wire to look like driftwood.

Here was my carefully chosen driftwood.
My intial drawings of my chosen driftwood.
Using Marker to pick out lines I want to recreate in wire.
It just so happened that I was also making a bag for my marbles during my wire bending. I realized that by shrouding my wire piece I was able to create folds and crevices that felt more indicative of driftwood.
this is the wire sculpture after sculpting I allowed the wire to rise up from the piece like smoke from a fire.
limited space and lack of lighting made documentation hard.
this is my version of a drift wood fire; The red suspenders represent flames but also the logging industry which is mainly the reason we have driftwood.
Driftwood reminds me of Little Tribune Bay; Recreated in my shitty Courtenay apartment.
By suspending the piece and poking the fabric through the wire I was able to create pleasing folds that began to anthropomorphize the object.

Unit 1 Part 2: The Skull

It seems I took less time to document the actual building of my Skull I did however do sketches first. My goal was use the wire as much like a continuous line drawing; i wanted to represent in 3D form a scribbled gesture.

initial sketches.
Here you can see different attempts at drawing the skull with a continuous line.
This sketch I payed more attention to where shadows might exist and so dropped my continuous line to create the nose and eye cavity.
Back to quick continuous line gestures.
from certain angles the finished wire piece looks like a skull.
the finished sculpture casts interesting shadows.
from other angles the finished piece looks nothing like a skull but rather what I imagine the inner workings of my mind look like.

Artist Research.

Eva Hesse, –

Eva Hesse was born in Hamburg, Germany, on January 11, 1936, to Jewish parents, Wilhelm Hesse and Ruth Marcus House. In 1938, to escape the Nazis, she and her sister Helen were separated from their parents. The next year the family made it to New York. There her mother, severely depressed, took her own life in 1946, a year after her divorce from Wilhelm Hesse and his subsequent remarriage to Eva Nathanson. This series of traumatic events would leave Eva with a life long anxiety disorder. Eva graduated from the High School of Industrial Arts in 1952 after which she attended the  Pratt Institute of Design for one and a half years and then Cooper Union for three years, graduating in 1957. In 1959, she received her B.F.A. from the Yale School of Art and Architecture and then moved back to New York. There she continued an intense regimen of drawing and painting, attending exhibitions, and reading art history and twentieth-century literature. She also began to establish herself among her peers, including Sol LeWitt and Mel Bochner. In 1961, Hesse married the well-known American sculptor Tom Doyle.

https://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/hesse-eva

Eva Hesse, Contingent
Contingent
 1969

Place made
New York, United States of America
Materials & Technique
sculptures, cheesecloth, latex, fibreglass
Primary insc
No inscriptions
Dimensions
overall 350.0 h x 630.0 w x 109.0 d cm
each panel
Weight 30 kg
Catalogue raisonné
Renate Petzinger and Barry Rosen ed., Eva Hesse: catalogue raisonné, New Haven: Yale University Press; Wiesbaden: Museum Wiesbaden 2006, vol. II (sculpture)
Acknowledgement
Purchased 1973
Accession no
NGA 74.395.A-H
Subject
Art style: Process art
Image rights
© The Estate of Eva Hesse, Courtesy Hauser & Wi

https://cs.nga.gov.au/detail.cfm?IRN=49353

Eva Hesse (American, b. Germany, 1936–1970) Right After, 1969 Fiberglass approximately: 5 x 18 x 4 ft (152.39 x 548.61 x 121.91 cm) Milwaukee Art Museum, Gift of Friends of Art M1970.27  Photo credit P. Richard Eells © The Estate of Eva Hesse. Courtesy Hauser & Wirth

Eva Hesse (American, b. Germany, 1936–1970)

Right After, 1969

Fiberglass

approximately: 5 x 18 x 4 ft (152.39 x 548.61 x 121.91 cm)

Milwaukee Art Museum, Gift of Friends of Art M1970.27

Photo credit P. Richard Eells

© The Estate of Eva Hesse. Courtesy Hauser & Wirth